Monday, January 9, 2012

Flash Fiction Challenge: Song Shuffle Stories

From Chuck Wendig:

  • Go to Your Favorite Music Player. Dig out your digital music collection.
  • Maybe this is iTunes or Spotify, or use Pandora if you’d rather go that way.
  • Hit SHUFFLE, then “Play.”
  • Meaning, let a random song come bubbling up out of nothing.
  • The title to this song is the title to your story.

My iPod gave me 'Citizen Erased,' by Muse and my brain gave me a drabble (100 words):

Citzen Erased

'She's perfect,' I say.

'Yes,' he says, because she is.

'How can we afford it?' I ask.

He doesn't answer, because we can't.

So I can keep her, this incredible recreation of our daughter, and ruin us.  Or I can let her go, and we can have our lives back.

I fold her into my arms and lay a kiss on her synthetic hair. There's no smell.

'I don't love you,' I tell her.

I touch my finger first to the tear that runs down her cheek, then to my tongue. There's no taste.

It's an easy decision to make.


  

5 comments:

  1. This might be my favorite (of the entries I've read so far). It's so poignant, and not a word is wasted or unnecessary. Brilliantly done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not to mutually back scratch, at all, but I found your blog from mine and this is fantastic :)

    Concise but emotionally all-encompassing, and I loved the tension between genuine emotion and fake feelings in the piece. Plus it was delightfully unnerving. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very good... brilliantly bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete