Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Reprint! The God of Blood and Bone in Dipping Into Blood



Dipping Into Blood, a new horror anthology out now from Gravestone Press! Includes my story 'The God of Blood and Bone;, which originally appeared in Liquid Imagination, Nov 2015. 


THE GOD OF BLOOD AND BONE

The phone rings at three o’clock in the morning. It’s on the coffee table, face down. Light leaks from underneath it. If I turn it over, it’ll be flashing Vince’s photo. At three o’clock in the morning, it’s always Vince. 

At least it didn’t wake me up; one of the upsides of insomnia. There aren’t many, so I’ve learned to take what I can get. 

I look at the phone and the familiar fear crawls out of my chest: does he know? 

We’re good friends, that fear and I. It gnaws on my ribs, sticks icy claws into my heart. It’ll freeze it before too long, kill it completely. But maybe that would be a kindness. No heart, no capacity to love. My family aren’t built for love. It goes bad.

Read the rest in Dipping Into Blood... 

No comments:

Post a Comment